In an effort to enhance our school and our community, the Harney PTO has worked in collaboration with nature+play designs and Harney students and staff members to develop an exciting new Outdoor Learning Space. This Outdoor Learning Space includes an outdoor classroom, a nature-play area, and an integrated walking path, all built on the grounds of Harney Elementary (see pictures below).
With the generous support of our Harney community and funds raised at our past two Benefit Auctions, we were able to begin development of this exciting new Outdoor Learning Space over the summer of 2016, and will be completing the final stage over the summer of 2017.
With the help of some highly skilled parent volunteers, we identified and completed three phases of development for the project.
Phase 1: Paved Community Walking Path (July-August 2016)
- 250 yards of excavation and haul off (sod and strippings)
- 250 tons of crushed rock
- 165 tons of 8’ wide asphalt path
- General Contractor or Project Manager to oversee work by licensed individuals
- Plans reviewed by the city and available upon request. Approval for construction received July, 2016.
Phase 2: Outdoor Classroom (Spring 2017)
- Crushed gravel
- Volunteer work
- Other elements to be determined
Phase 3: Nature Play Area (Summer 2017)
- Help transporting large tree from the Shumway neighborhood
- Other sources of logs
- Lumber (cedar preferred – no treated lumber for children’s safety)
- Volunteer work
Research has demonstrated that physical activity and time spent outdoors increases academic performance and improves behavior. By supporting our students’ overall well being, we will open doors to new opportunities and experiences. Our outdoor learning and activity space will give Harney students the opportunity to build Healthy Bodies which will lead to Healthy Minds!
If you have any questions or would like to donate time or materials for the final stage of construction, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are thankful for any and all support you are able to give Harney Elementary students, staff and families!